She has had so many firsts already; several family birthday's (including her own), Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New Year. She loves going to preschool!
She has also started working with a speech therapist as her speaking is coming slow. We still don't know why she wasn't speaking Chinese, we suspect that it's just that no one ever encouraged her to talk or maybe she was confused since many languages are spoke in the area she is from. Regardless, she can say about 20 words and is starting to use them on her own without us prompting her.
We have had fun watching Harli's personality blossom......she's become quite sassy and she is SO silly! She holds her own with all of our boys! She is so full of love and life. She is usually very happy, although the lack of communication still causes some meltdowns.
You can tell for sure when an adopted child feels comfortable. She will come wake us up at night if she needs to go potty, she has started to get into and investigate everything. We've had not one, but TWO times now that she has cut her hair with kid scissors....someday she will have a cute little bob! : ) We've had many episodes where she has used markers to color ALL over herself - thank goodness I only allow washable markers! She loves to watch her big sister put on make up and even decided to give herself a makeover one day and her big sisters comforter (yikes!). Now, I know what you might be thinking - WHEN does she do all of this - I assure you that she is with us pretty much at all times. She can be playing with a toy and 2-3 minutes later one of these events has taken place. She is super sneaky and fast!!!
As for her medically, we did make another trip back to see the International Adoption Dr. Although Harli had gained 3 pounds and 2 inches in height since we had been home - the Dr. was still worried about her height and why she is so small. So, we had some x-rays and blood work. They showed that she has had some periods where she stopped growing due to malnutrition. Her blood work was good and shows that she is on the right track now. We'll just have to wait and see, hopefully she will continue to catch up over the next six months or so. In February we will go back to see her Cardiologist and have a new echo. She will also go for another follow up with the International Adoption Dr.
I was just thinking the other day how true it is that you grow an adopted child in your heart instead of your tummy. I can honestly say that I don't feel like I missed out at all. During the process you really do grow your child in your heart and when they hand you your child it's just like a delivery. Trust me, the flight to China is about as bad as labor!!! Ha, ha! Seriously though, I know I am blessed to have been able to carry my biological children, but adoption is not second best - I can truly say that any way a child comes into your life is an amazing gift from God.
Her bib says it all
First tree she saw at the hospital for a test
"I'm not touching the ornaments"
Waiting to get her blood taken at the Adoption Dr.
Silly girl, one of many faces she did when I was trying get a picture of her smiling!!




No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments